This recipe for Cherry and Coconut Cake was simple and quick to make, and well received by all those who ate a slice or two. It was most selfless of me to bake this cake as I do not like coconut, a cake I could not eat! As selfless as I was this cake is one from my wish list of bakes from the Cake Magic book.
|Cherry and Coconut Cake recipe - an easy bake|
- bowl or electric food mixer
- 2 lb loaf tin
- baking parchment/ loaf tin liner
- cooling rack
- measuring jug
makes 1 loaf cake - 8 to 10 slices
250g self raising flour
125g caster sugar
100g desiccated coconut
125g glace cherries
2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C / Gas Mark 3
- Line the loaf tin
- Rinse the cherries in cold water and dry, chop into small pieces.
- Rub the butter into the flour with your finger tips, until it resembles breadcrumbs. Or use an electric food mixer, I used my Kenwood K Mix and the K attachment.
- Add the sugar, chopped cherries and 75g of the coconut, mix briefly.
- Briefly whisk the milk and eggs together, then add to the bowl of dry ingredients.
- Whisk all the ingredients well together.
- Pour into a lined loaf tin.
- Sprinkle the remaining coconut onto the top of the mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes, you may need to cover the top of the cake near the end to prevent to top over browning. It may need an additional 10 minutes, check with skewer to see if it comes out clean.
Leave to cool in tin for 10 minutes, then remove and place on a wire cooling rack until cool.Follow my baking board on Pinterest
Slice the Cherry and Coconut Cake as large as you dare. I have even managed a few spare slices to pop in the freezer, for when those unexpected visitors arrive.
Love this recipe then you will love others from this great book, perfect for any keen baker.