Here is a first bake for me, a Welsh Cakes recipe also known as Griddle Pan Scones. Which are not only popular in Wales but also in Welsh Border counties such as my home county of Shropshire.
Welsh Cakes Recipe
8 oz Self raising flour
Pinch of salt
2 oz butter
2 oz lard
3 oz sugar
3 oz sultanas or currants or glace cherries
makes 12 to 14 cakes
- Into a bowl add the flour and salt
- Add the butter and lard and rub into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the sugar and fruit
- Add the egg mixing together to form a firm dough, you may need to add a little milk
- Roll out onto a lightly floured surface, to about an 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut into 3 inch rounds using a pastry cutter.
- Lightly grease a hot griddle or frying pan and cook, place the Welsh Cakes on the griddle and turn the heat down to low, turn the cakes over once until golden brown.
Serve with or without butter. They tasted wonderful hot, straight off the griddle.
I'm submitting this recipe as part of July's AlphaBakes Challenge on The More Than Occasional Baker and Caroline Makes blog. This months letter is 'W' which in may case equals Welsh Cakes.